Thursday, March 5, 2015

Challenge Lesson 5: Proquest

1. I did my basic search on "pros and cons of vaccinations" and a lot of different resources where given to me, 1,062 results in all. There was a dvd seminar that was recommended on the topic as well as a variety of other articles related to the topic in some way. I like how they give you related searches to also try in case the search you tried didn't bring the results you were looking for. I like how you can narrow your results down to specifically newspapers, journals, reports, magazines, and so on. I also like the feature of being able to email the article to yourself and to create an alert for any new articles that may arise on the topic.

1a. I commented on "My Happy Place's" blog, lesson 2.

2. I typed in "School Libraries" in the publications search. This brought up two results, School Libraries in Canada, and School Library Journal. I decided to click on School Library Journal and found that they had these journals dating back from January 1988 to present. I then chose a link to "show most recent issue" and it brought up all the articles published in the March 2015 issue. This is such a great tool to be able to use especially when trying to find recent information on specific topics. So often it is hard for students to find recent published works when doing research and Proquest really helps make the research process a lot easier for them.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observations about Proquest. The resource is a great tool for recently published info on topics. And the publications tab is great for providing professional reading options.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete