Friday, March 6, 2015

Challenge Lesson 6: Gale Virtual Reference Library

1. The title I selected was "Novels for Students Vol. 16:  , 2003 (9781414428093)". This volume covers a variety of literature including, The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and many more. I am not sure how I could use this resource personally but I would recommend it to the high school English teachers as they are reading certain literary classics with their students. I think it would be a great tool for them to use in their class discussions or for students when they are trying to understand the general theme or purpose of the authors writing.

2. I typed in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" into the search bar and it brought up anything relating to the story or themes discussed in the story such as slavery, the Mississippi River, and Mark Twain. I was also given many different resources about the story itself. One of these that I clicked on was titled The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Literature and Its Times: Profiles of 300 Notable Literary Works and the Historical Events that Influenced Them. This resource included a synopsis of the book, as well as events in history during the time setting of the book and at the time that the book was written. I tried the listening tool and I think it is such a great feature to have. I really liked that each word is highlighted as it is read so that you can not only hear, but see the words as they are being read.

1 comment:

  1. Great find in GVRL! Some of the other titles that are useful are the American Decades volumes and other history titles.

    Thanks for your post,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete